Virtual Private Server (VPS) is the preferred choice when it comes to hosting a small to medium sized business. VPS provides users a virtual dedicated environment where the entire server environment is on a single physical machine along with other people’s server environments (it shares the same hardware, though). Each of the virtual servers within this environment is completely isolated from each other and functions like a stand-alone machine virtually in every respect.
Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of VPS hosting:
- Isolation - VPS runs on an isolated environment and guarantees a portion of the server’s disk space, CPU power, bandwidth, and memory.
- Stability - No adverse affects on your operation caused by traffic and activities of other shared hosting customers.
- Performance – Faster load times.
- Dedicated Resources – More disk space, CPU and RAM.
- Flexibility – Flexibility in the choice of operating system and software.
- Customization – Full root access allows for server customization.
- Security –VPS site is a distinct entity on the server and this isolation minimizes risk of hacks.
- Affordability - VPS is cheap.
VPS effectively combines the limitations of a shared hosting and the flexibility of a dedicated hosting. The best thing about a VPS is that website owners are allowed to share costs, and so you need to pay only a fraction of the costs of a dedicated server.
In short, you get the best of both worlds. It allows for total control over hosting solutions without the expensive price tag.